A few days ago I bought a course "Introduction of the Art of Modern Calligraphy" by Molly Jacques, which you should definitely check, and I fell in love with calligraphy.
Now I find this useful infographic with the basics of calligraphy, including tools. In case you want to try your skills you should try to do those exercise.
In both cases, (the classes from molly and this infographic) they ask you simple tools to begining your training:
- Pen Holder
- Nikko G pointed, 303 and 404 Nibs (but you can find packs including pen holder like this one)
- Black ink
- Semi Transparent Layout Bound (recommend by Molly)
- Calligraphy Lined Guide (optional)
In case you’re most an analog vintage retro-old guy, and you prefer to read a real book that stuck your nose in a monitor these are cool option for calligraphy beginners (the last to images):
- Modern Calligraphy: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started in Script Calligraphy.
- Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy: A Step-by-Step Manual
Here are the last useful links:
In case you’re lazy or calligraphy simple isn’t your thing download the font (used on this post): http://myfonts.us/8eK7dW
The Class of Molly Jacques: http://skl.sh/1bWpr9p
Source of the infographic: us.moo.com